I have often wondered what it is people see in a presidential candidate who, as president, brings with him the absolute disregard for self and for the human animal that creates a George Bush presidency. Hell, for that matter, creating a Ronald Reagan presidency…
Reagan is regarded as “God” by many in the Republican Party but what I experienced first hand with Reagan was more of a demonic destruction of every principal on which it was built. A country “claiming” a “Judeo Christian” ethic of “the Golden Rule” and the beatitudes….
For those unfamiliar with those beautifully written psalms - the glorious offerings to mankind of a truly gifted speaker, true humanitarian and, to my mind the first openly socialist being, given credence, in our arm of society – here they are:
- the poor in spirit:
- those who mourn:
for they will be comforted. (5:4)
- the meek:
for they shall inherit the earth. (5:5)
- they who hunger and thirst for righteousness:
for they will be satisfied. (5:6)
- the merciful:
- the pure in heart:
for they shall see God. (5:8)
- the peacemakers:
for they shall be called children of God. (5:9)
- those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness:
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
What I experienced of Ronald Reagan, the first neo-conservative president – with his attacks on workers, the poor and the children of the nation; with his obscene military expansionism, oil industry give aways, corporate promotion (specifically arms dealing and military providers) over promotion of the people, and his policies of planet destruction over energy independence – was a destruction of the very heart and soul of the substance of which this nation was built. I watched the “government,” under his neo-conservative tutelage, erase the substance of caring for those meek in order to promote acts of aggression and hostility against the meek, the poor, the disabled, the peace-makers, the merciful, the pure of heart and the “children of God” …
- The first to formally institutionalize “extraordinary rendition” as a means of dealing with international issues - Achille Lauro perpetrators – setting precedent and practice for lazy investigation and kidnapping that has created America’s stormtrooping mentality;
- Started a war without hostile provocation or attack on the nation – Grenada – in order to pave the way towards the militarization of the economy and set overt precedent of America the “bully” imperialist nation (sure we covertly involved ourselves in regime change since Truman but Reagan wanted it to be overt and a new LOW standard for America );
- Openly attacked workers by turning the federal government against a union – PATCO – and began the policy of union-busting by government that has since pitted the government against the American worker.
- Propped up and fed a bloated military industrial complex built on the sole premise of slaughter – The MIC that ultimately funded his election;
- Began systematic attacks on public education to include funding cuts, pushing religion in school, trying to kill health and sex education, and the destruction of school lunch program (ketchup as a vegetable? really?). A slow path towards destruction of one of the world’s best public school systems – bringing his slash and burn policies from California where, as governor, he cut funding for food programs, pushed for a constitutional amendment requiring prayer in schools, pushed for tax credits to parents placing their kids in private schools (all beginning to sound familiar?) ;
- The systematic destruction of the Middle Class that became more pronounced since the 1980′s, promoted by the policies of “trickle down” that installed the class and income inequality we have today. Here is a fun fact – Income growth under Republican presidents since Truman rises dramatically only for the top tier of income earners while under Democratic presidents is spread throughout the entire population….
- A mass lay off of health care workers;
- Closing down of institutions providing care for those in dire need that threw hundreds of thousands of our brothers and sisters on the street. The new population of homeless with NO ability to care for themselves; feed, clothe themselves, or save themselves from an onslaught of criminal acts, inhuman acts, and social expulsion created by a man claiming to be “born again”.
Reagan turned the government away from the people; away from caring for the meek in favor of a renewed promotion of a Machiavellian “might equals right” mentality – a madness, that until Reagan’s injection of new life, had begun its slow, humane and necessary extinction starting with the creation of The Renaissance across Europe (I might add with the help of education and knowledge gleaned from more than a passing acquaintance with other nations and societies to include the Middle Eastern countries that honored ideas of “chivalry”, love and caring for their fellow humans from the Christ to John the Baptist to Mohammed)
Fast forward to George Bush 2, the figure head and chosen face of the Neo-Con movement for the 21st Century. A man of no obvious moral fiber, no ability to think beyond his narcissism, and of questionable intelligence. A boy that blew holes in anything on which he could paint a bulls-eye … from our economy, to our health, to our international standing and relationships to peace on the planet. Playin’ “Six-Gun Sam” as he shot up everything from our security to our privacy to our peace to our “prosperity” to our self-respect. He is guilty of outright war-mongering, fear -mongering and corporate whore-mongering..
Now we are embroiled in a great debate…The Romney/Ryan big money movement of Ayn Rand infected neo-conservative narcissism vs the latest attempt to inject some humanity BACK into a government that lost its soul.
Sure I have issues with Mr. Obama. Any left leaning, humanity minded person should have some issues with drones and the NDAA; With stopping any investigation of the evil done in our name that could have destroyed the legacies of not only Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2, but also Clinton and hamstrung Obama’s security advisers from Patreaus to Gates to Panetta (to my mind, each one of those three advisers is a war criminal but nothing to the level of Rumsfeld, Cheney, Rice Gonzalez, Ashcroft, Reagan and the Bush clan all the way back to Prescott).
What too many refuse to understand is that we are a neo-con nation. We were turned to one as Reagan opened the door to invite them in and like the vampires they are, they sucked the soul out of DC and put the oligarchs and neo-liberals in power.
That power has never waned.
Their only challenge, before President Obama, was dealt with by tying up the courts, the Congress and millions of taxpayer dollars as they spent 8 solid years attacking the very moderate Bill Clinton and the First Lady Hillary Clinton. The big money oligarchs joining forces with the neo-con attack dogs, proving only their sexual obsessions and immature arrogance (as well as their rather obvious lack of concern for blowing holes in budgets, increasing deficits and spending taxpayer dollars like a drunken sailor on shore leave), never brought him down but a little blue dress and a chubby, well endowed and overly eager intern willing to give a blow job to power appealed to his male hubris and nearly did.
Now the neo-con driven and oligarch funded GOP has placed their White Horse , faux Stallion, Romney in a race paired with the self enamored, not so far haired “marathon man, ” boy-child, Ryan. Both prove to be no more than front boys for the neo-cons that have gone before - advisers from Senor to Bork, Bush’s brains splattered across the list. Meet the new boss…same as the old boss.
If we don’t like that we are a neo-con, then we must act like we care. That first act of caring is to say “NO” to Romney/Ryan and the GOP. THEN start to work on Obama and the rest of the DC crowd.
A Romney/Ryan Presidency will be more Bush than Bush. No heart, no soul, no caring for the meek, for they believe only “THEIRS is the kingdom of heaven” and at least 47% of us, the meek, the poor, the mournful, the merciful, the peacemakers, the children of God are no more than leeches and don’t have a place in their kingdom.
Check out more of the Cosmic Surfer at: