Gov. Dave Heineman (R-NE) announced the resignation at a 10 a.m. press conference of Lt. Gov. Rick Sheehy after questions were raised by The World-Herald over improper cell phone calls to four women, other than his wife, during the past four years which carried on during various late hours of the night. Approximately 2,000 calls were made from his state-issued cell phone.
Gov. Heineman said, ”I’ve got a knot in my stomach. I’m deeply disappointed. He’s done a lot of good things for the state, but that trust was broken, and he’s resigned.”
Until now, Sheehy, 53, has been considered the leading candidate to succeed Heineman in 2015.
The governor, asked about Sheehy’s candidacy, said: “I doubt he will continue his campaign for governor, and no, I would not support him under the circumstances.”
“This has happened very, very rapidly,” Heineman said. “On Monday, I will begin to think about who is an appropriate lieutenant governor for the future.”
Sheehy, a Republican, had been considered to be the front-runner in the 2014 gubernatorial race. Heineman declined to discuss the details of why Sheehy was stepping down, other than to say it involved “personal decisions” made by his lieutenant governor, according to Omaha.com.
The Governor stated that the matter came to his attention Friday, and he had a private meeting with Sheehy.
What is it with politicians and telephones?