As the Texas Governor and Texas State House prove they have no respect for the rights of women, apparently there are those in the State Department of Public Safety who don’t respect them either.
Just ask Angel Dobbs and her niece, Ashley Dobbs of Irving, Texas……
Last July (2012), Angel was on a “road trip” with her niece, Ashley, when they were pulled over on State Trooper David Farrell for, as he said,………….. “littering”………
[Note here: For some reason, “Alice’s Restaurant Massacree” just started playing in my head]
The officer apparently watched as two cigarette butts were dropped out the windows of the moving car – the officer decided to give hot pursuit.
Upon stopping the vehicle (of litterbugs), the officer decided that the two women surely must be high…(Why else would two women be driving at night on their way to Oklahoma, right?). He stated that he “smelled marijuana” so he called state trooper Kelley Helleson to provide a “search.”
This is the shortened version of the hour video taken from the dash-mounted video cam in the officer’s patrol car (the full, unedited video can be found here):
In the suit filed in US District Court, December 17, 2012, against the two officers involved and the Director of the Department of Public Safety………
…the women claim
1) that Officer Helleson was called to search before there was ever probable cause established;
2) that Officer Farrell proceeded with the search of the vehicle without even asking for consent;
3) that officer Helleson demanded each woman, one at a time, to stand in the light of the illuminated headlamps, in full view of both officer Farrell and the public highway traffic and proceeded to commit a search of the genitalia and cavities of each woman without explaining the search nor asking for consent (Angel, at least, was able to tell Officer Helleson that she had “been violated in a most horrific manner” – yeah rape is horrific, Officer Helleson);
4) that Officer Helleson used the same gloves for the cavity and genitalia searches of both women;
5) that both women were deeply humiliated and felt helpless;
6) that Angel Dobbs, suffering from an on-going medical condition, has suffered long term effects from the treatment received in the cavity search;
7) that, even after not finding illegal drugs of any kind but finding a legal prescription for Hydrocodone, Officer Farrell grilled Angel Dobbs about the prescription then tried to make the case for a DWI requiring Angel to submit to a test that he performed completely inaccurately – Angel passed it anyway;
8) when confronting Officer Farrell about her total humiliation caused by the search and trying to ascertain a reasonable cause for the search, Angel was told that it was because someone smokes in the car daily, and that she can “chalk it up” to that;
9) and finally, when she got back in the car after being issued warnings for littering, she looked for the legal Hydrocodone prescription last seen in Officer Farrell’s possession, they were gone.
In a statement to the press, December 18, Angel Dobbs stated, “I was molested, I was violated, I was humiliated in front of other traffic…” “I had to watch my niece go through the same thing and I could not protect her at that point.”
Well, it appears the US District Court agreed – Angel and Ashley Dobbs were awarded $185,000 last June, 2013.
The officers, well, their futures not so sure:
Trooper Kelley Helleson has lost her job (fired), in December after investigation led to charges of 2 counts of Sexual Assault and 2 counts of Official Oppression. If convicted, she will have to register as a sex offender.
Trooper David Farrell has been suspended, as well, pending investigation on the complaint of theft of the Prescription drugs.
One win for women, but this is not a “One Off” case.
Just ask Brandy Hamilton, 26, and Alexandria Randle, 24 – They were stopped for speeding as they were coming home from the beach, Memorial Day Weekend, 2012. Held for 40 minutes, they went through a similar ordeal as the Dobbs suffered.
From the dash cam of Officer Nathan Turner:
These two women are are suing too and GOOD for them!
“The police are there to protect and serve,” Hamilton said. “They did not protect me at all.”
So far, Trooper Jennie Bui, the officer who performed the genital search has been fired and Officer Nathan Turner has been suspended pending investigation.
Well, Texas, looks like your misogyny is getting hammered by those “2nd class” women, or the “fair sex”, or the “little ladies”, or the “baby production line”
We, the REAL Twisted Sisters are, finally, getting pissed off enough. Time for all of us to rise and tear down the wall
We’re not gonna take it anymore:
Copyright 2013 FreakOutNation.com